As humans it is often inevitable that we tend to focus more on other people and things rather than ourselves. As a young adult in today’s society I often feel pressured because certain life milestones aren’t occurring for me. I am only nineteen years old! I truly do not need my sole focus to be relationships, marriage, or children. Although each of these milestones is something I desperately crave for my life at some point down the road, it is deeply important to spend this time by myself to focus on my soul and personal happiness. The summer time is a perfect time to focus some much needed attention on you, your dreams, goals, and aspirations. It is not selfish to make time to make yourself happy and is incredible important to do so.
I decided to come up with a few of my favorite ways to focus on myself and thought I would share with y’all.
- Get lost in a good book!
My current top 4 favorite books!
- Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst
- I am currently reading this and loving every minute of it. It is a continual reminder that we are all destined for a love that can never be taken away.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- It takes you on a journey to find yourself and work towards reaching light and truth. It reminded me that the mind is a powerful tool and if used correctly can provide a create deal of peace.
- Troublemaker by Leah Remini
- I have always had an interest in learning about others beliefs and religions. Remini does an incredible job at sharing her journey within the Church of Scientology and left me wanted more.
- Radical Self Love by Gala Darling
- This book stressed the importance of determining what makes you so incredible. It taught me one incredible thing: when you truly love yourself, life is limitless.
Whether it is for a few hours or an entire day you would be surprised to see how refreshing being unplugged can be. I try extremely hard to do this; however, the one thing I cannot go without is my music! Instead I just turn off all notifications to all of my apps in order to still feel unplugged from everyone and everything.
- Treat yourself.
It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant, but take a day and focus on yourself. Whether it is doing things you enjoy, sleeping in, making your favorite foods, or watching your favorite movies…make a day of it and relax and unwind.
- Experience the outdoors.
Trust me when I say I am not the outdoorsy kind of person, however, there is nothing more refreshing than going on a hike or taking a long drive on a sunny summer day.
If there is anything I have truly learned it would have to be that it is okay to be single. I haven’t had a relationship for almost 5 years now and it has allowed me all of this time to understand what my passions, dreams, and aspirations are. Trust me, it really isn’t as bad as it may seem.
- Appreciate the little things.
Sadly it is a common occurrence for so many individuals to complain about the smallest things in life. It is crucial to take moments and appreciate all of the things surrounding us. Learn to appreciate being able to wake up with breath in your lungs and the opportunity to be on this earth another day. Learn to appreciate the opportunities this life grants you because you never know when they may not be there anymore. Life is a precious gift.
- Learn to love yourself.
This is probably one of the hardest things we are told to do for so many reasons; however, it is so very important. When you are happy with who you are you are able to give love without worrying about if your love is good enough. Spend the necessary time focusing on yourself and falling in love with who you are as a person. You would be amazed at what you can accomplish and the happiness it will bring to your life.
Summer is upon us and I cannot wait to take some necessary time and continue to focus on myself. What will you chose to do?